Monday, February 7, 2011

My mind travels in and out of focus.


My mind travels in and out of focus. Pain and pleasure are opposites so both are crucial for harmony and balance. What are emotions? Can they be categorized if they are impulses, different to each person? Maybe, as Plato observes, pleasure is a distraction from the soul. "And indeed the soul reasons best when none of these senses troubles it, neither hearing nor sight, nor pain nor pleasure, but when it is most by itself, taking leave of the body and as far as possible having no contact or association with it in its search for reality." That can't be right because it is through my own senses, that I have ever experienced the closest alignment of body to soul. Heightened senses are what make me more aware of the world, so as I see it, that is how I get closer to my soul, whatever that may be. Senses aren't a distraction, they are enablers. When one sense is used at a time, in conjunction with the mind, I have a greater awareness of experience.

From questioning the intangible, hypothetical beliefs, to discussing such absurd concepts as tangible land is petty and it makes me sick. It is embarrassing to call myself a human, with such barbaric actions "we" stand for. Land, laws, amendments? Who are we and what is this nonsense? Are we conditioned to fight? What is this territorial issue about? Humans are so out of touch with their own purpose that their interests subconsciously shift to the pettiness of ownership. Does it make them happy? At the end of the day, what is the value of that apparent "happiness"? Ownership is connected to happiness. Where does this happiness manifest itself and what is the value of it and to whom does it concern? I am never really sure what brings me true happiness versus what I am trained to associate with that feeling. I don't want to live a mediocre life in the brink of falling. Is anybody truly content?

Plato suggests that senses are distracting to the soul. I believe that my senses enhance my experience of life and impressions are based off a series of perceptions, churned by senses. Though the body dies and the soul continues, being swallowed by yet another form of physicality, this body holds captive the only soul it will know until my heart stops. If I'm trained to enjoy taste, smell, touch, soul and sight, then why not grab life by the horns and and embody these senses? To Plato, they are superficial and distracting but at the same time, I cannot be sure if souls are immortal so why waste a life denying my seemingly superficial senses? I should spend a day in Central Park and break up my day through measured time, experiences each of my senses individually. What a thought!...I suppose this is a circle without a kink so I should end now.

No comments:

Post a Comment